Saturday, October 11, 2014

Swedish Anorak Mods, Part 5: fur ruff

So, this is the biggest, best part of the mods, in my opinion. I purchased a coyote tail from a vendor in Canada, that had a cloth piece sewn the length of the tail, with the purpose being that this is used specifically for a ruff. This makes it MUCH easier to sew onto the hood, as I'm not sewing through hide, nor am I attempting to sew the fur directly to the hood. Its just a simple fabric to fabric mate, which I sewed by hand, using a locking stitch. So, here is the hood, the fur ruff, and the ruff pinned in place prior to sewing:




From there, I simply started on one end, and sewed all the way up & around to the other end. Again, the simple lock stitch did the trick:


The only thing you need to be careful of, is not to sew the inner cloth tape that closes the hood. As you can see, I sewed it right to the edge of the hood. The ruff can be flipped inside the hood, to create more dead air space to warm up, keeping the warm air close to your face, or, flip out (sort of) to give you better visibility. Here is the final product, and, well, me, with it on:


So, that ends the mods I did to this anorak. Now, I simply wait, until Old Man Winter shows up. The Farmers Almanac is predicting a cold winter this year, so I expect to get plenty of use out of this. As I do, I will blog about how well (or, poorly, if thats the case) it performs.

I hope this helps others looking to do some mods on their swedish anoraks. I tried to be as thorough as possible, and take pics that I thought would help. Of course, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them here, and I will answer them for you. Thanks!

No comments: