Saturday, October 11, 2014

Swedish Anorak Mods Part 3, cuff modifications.

The next mod I did was to remove the button from the cuff, use the epaulets that I removed earlier, and use those on the cuffs, with velcro, to allow for a more flexible opening. I can cinch it down, so they will fit inside my mitts, or keep them loose, and over a lighter pair of gloves, depending on the weather and work. Again, as a disclaimer, these ideas arent mine, but I wanted one blog, showing all the mods done, to make it a little easier to find for others. So, on to the mods!
First thing I did, was remove the epaulets (keep in mind, not ALL of these anoraks have epaulets: check with the seller first, to see if they are there. If not, a simple strip of material can be subsituted):


Next, you want to remove the cuff buttons. Once those are removed, you will want to sew the epaulets over where the button you just removed was. The part that you cut (the straight part) will be sewn to this part of the cuff, with the epaulet button hole end (the arrow shaped tip of the material) pointed towards the wrist opening. Pin it in place, then sew it to that side of the cuff ONLY:


I overlapped about 1/2 inch, and did a simple lock stitch for it. On the inside, I sewed through only 1 layer of the epaulet, so that the seam isnt seen from the outside:

The next step, I cut velcro strips, about an inch wide and 4 inches long for the loop (fuzzy) part, and approximately a 2x2 inch strip for the hook part. The hook part is then sewn into the epaulet, as such:

I then sewed the other strip, beginning at the cuff opening, onto the cuff itself:

The velcro I used has a sticky (EXTREMELY sticky) backing. This made it extremely difficult to sew through by hand. So, in the interest of not breaking a needle, and saving my fingers, I just sewed the ends of them. Eventually, I will sew the long sides, but, for now, this will do.
Now, you have a fully adjustable cuff, that can be opened, and even rolled back, for venting, or closed up tight and slid under the gauntlet of your mittens. Hope you found this useful!

No comments: