Thursday, January 22, 2015

New WarBonnet RidgeRunner test hang, and initial thoughts

As you may know, I havent been a tent camper since about 2006. I was introduced to hammock camping about that time. I went through a couple of decent hammock setups, before I finally settled upon a WarBonnet BlackBird in about 2008. That faithful hammock served me for a great 6 years. I have camped in all kinds of weather-summer heat, -7 winter, wind, rain, you name it. Never once had an issue.
Then, I discovered the RidgeRunner. This is a different style hammock, a bridge hammock. The WBBB is a gathered end. I tried one out a couple weeks ago, and decided it was time for a change. I sold my WBBB on hammock forums (within 20 minutes), and immediately purchased a WBRR. Today, I got the chance to hang it in my back yard, to become a little familiar with it. So, here are my initial thoughts.
First, I am not a gram counter. There was a time when I tried ultralight camping, but, it just isnt me. I like to sleep comfortable. So, I dont mind a few extra ounces . This hammock does have aluminum spreader poles, which add to the weight. The entire setup weighs in the vicinity of 40 oz-which comes out to 2.5 lbs. Now, add a tarp, you're probably looking at about 3.5 lbs for your sleeping setup. For me, thats acceptable. Some, that may be too heavy. But, the advantage over this, in my opinion (hammocks in general), is that you have flexibility of setup. You can pitch a tarp tight to the weather, pitch one side up, so that you have a porch, or even choose not to pitch one at all. Additionally, a hammock can be pitched anywhere where you can hang it. No need for flat ground, no removing rocks that you are sleeping on-in other words, more convenient.
Pitching the WBRR is even easier than the WBBB. With the WBBB, you need to hang it correctly, based upon tension of the ridgeline. Now, after years of practice, this becomes second nature. But, there is a  bit of a learning curve to get it right. The WBRR, there is no ridgeline. You simply hang the tree straps, snug it up, and you're done. Its really that simple! The whole process takes about a minute. Seriously. 
For bottom insulation, I use a pad. I have a Big Agnes Q core inflatable insulated pad. The WBRR has 2 layers of fabric. Designed specifically for pads. Simply flip the hammock over, insert the pad, flip it back, and you're done. Simple.
The bugnet unzips on 3 sides, with only the foot side sewn in. This allows you to stow it away, when bugs arent an issue. When its being used, the bugnet has elastic string, and mitten clips, at each end-the head and foot. To use, you simply clip the head end onto the anchor point around the tree, and the foot end to the buckles. Done. When in the hammock, the bugnet is pulled well off your body, allowing plenty of room.
Getting into the hammock was a little different than what I am used to. You grab behind you, plant your butt in, then pivot into the hammock. Not hard to do. It does feel a little tippy at first-but, I think thats just because I am not used to it yet. I moved around quite a bit in it, and had no issues. I dont feel like I will roll out of it. 
Inside, there is plenty of room, the bugnet is well off the body. I dont feel squished, pinched, or anything. I only laid in it for a few minutes, but I doubt I will have any issues sleeping in it. There are saddle bags inside the hammock, which hold little items like a book, headlamp, etc. There is also a small storage area at the head, where you could also store small items.
All in all, this is a fantastic product and, my initial feelings are that I will be very satisfied with it. I will, of course, need a few nights in the hammock before I can make a long term decision, but, I thoroughly enjoyed my WBBB, and fully expect to get years of satisfied camping with the WBRR.
I took a few pics of the initial setup. Here are the few I took.

Initial setup, no spreader bars, no bugnet yet


Set up with spreader bars, bugnet, and my pad, which you cannot see.


View from inside, without the bugnet. As you can see, the view is great. There is no obstruction at all.


View with bugnet installed. As you can see, the clearance is amazing. The bugnet doesnt come close to the body at all-the foot end is the lowest point of the net.


No comments: