Saturday, January 17, 2015

New Hammock

So, in case you are new to this blog, or were otherwise unaware, I am NOT a ground dweller. I discovered hammock camping early in 2006. I bought my first "real" camping hammock from DD hammocks, which are manufactured in England. It was OK, but a little finicky with setup. And, the bug net came ripped. The cost to ship it back and replace it was more than the hammock, so DD simply refunded me the money.
From there, I went to Hennsey Hammock Expedition Asym, and purchased a Supershelter from them, which provided under insulation. I also had modifications made, so that the mosquito screen could be zipped-allowing me side access (the HH models, at that time, had a bottom access into the hammock). This model served me well for 2 years.
Then, I discovered Warbonnet hammocks. My first foray was the venerable WarBonnet BlackBird. I purchased this in about 2008 or so, when they were still new. He was making them out of his garage at that time. This was a revolutionary gathered end hammock, with a shelf, a footbox-and a cult like following (that, by the way, still exists today). It was the end-all be-all for hammocks. And, I was an EXTREMELY satisfied customer! That hammock served me quite well, up until last weekend.
As per my previous post, you saw I was hammock camping. I had the opportunity to try the Warbonnet RidgeRunner, which is a bridge style hammock (I will explain the differences below). Well, I was sold on it. I wanted one. I got home, put my WBBB and the accompanying underquilt up for sale. I got it sold within 20 minutes. I immediately ordered a RidgeRunner. The site states that orders for these (I got a double layer) wouldnt be fulfilled until February, due to a backup for material. Well, a day later, I got notification it shipped-and got it this past week. Talk about fast shipping!
So, I look forward to spending many nights out in this, my latest acquisition from Brandon. I have his Superfly tarp, so I, too, and a cultist for them. But, the quality, craftsmanship, and attention to detail, are what sold me initially-and keeps me a customer. So, look for my initial impressions coming soon, and some trip reports later this year!

Ok, as I previously stated, there are, essentially, 2 different types of hammocks-both have many people singing the praises of each-its like a Ford vs Chevy debate. Nothing wrong with either-just depends on your taste!
A gathered end hammock is, essentially, exactly as it sounds. The ends are gathered, and tied, and the suspension is rigged from there. Gathered end hammocks normally require a diagonal lay, to lay flat. Some hammocks make this easier than others. The ideal way to lay in them is to imagine a line running from the head to the foot of the hammock, dividing it in half, the long way. To lay as flat as possible, your head would be on one side, your feet on the other, thus, laying diagonally. Some hammocks work better doing this than others-and, in my opinion, Warbonnet has nailed this process down.
A bridge hammock is a little different. I am new to this type, but familiar with the design, overall. a bridge is, in essence, a rectangular piece of fabric, which has its suspension coming from the 4 ends-not gathered in a knot like a gathered end hammock is. The 4 corners are normally spread apart via some sort of spreader bar-be it tent poles, hiking poles, etc. The result is somewhat like a suspension bridge. This method results in a flatter lay, and, for people like me, a flat side lay too. The trade off is usually in weight. These types are typically heavier, due to the use of spreader bars.

The choice between the two is solely dependent on the end user. Some swear by gathered end, some by bridge. This is my first foray into the bridge hammock, and, I no longer have a backup, so, I'm hoping I made the right choice!

1 comment:

Kepeak Outdoor Gear's Store said...

A great article,as a first time to read your blog from this post,I'm impress with it. thanks sharing this. I have heard hennessyhammock some times ago, and i also learn more camping hammock brands: such as shellhammocks, engolehammock, eno hammock, and kepeak's online store of outdoor camping hammock. could you share something about How to buying camping hammock tips.thanks