Friday, May 04, 2007

Odd day out

So, its a beautiful day outside, I have the day off, and decide to go for a little walk in the local wildlife management area. I decide I'm gonna take my hammock, as 1), it hasnt really gotten any good sleep time in it yet, and 2), I was up WAY too early this morning, to bring a buddy to the army barracks, so he could ship out to Iraq today. So, as it was nice, I decided to take my nap outdoors.
A little background of this area; It is located behind a maximum sercurity prison. The area, the size of a small town, used to house inmates that were mentally deficient. It was a small town-like community, and they had the inmates work farms. There used to be massive housing facilities, several the size of mansions. IN addtion, they also had huge tracts of land to farm. They produced fruit & vegetables, as well as dairy & meat products, for the local communities.
In the 70's the state stopped funding the program, and all of the inmates were transferred to traditional facilities. TRhe community was effectively abandoned. It was taken over by the state wildlife commision shortly after they were shut down, and part of it was (and still is) used for training of police and corrections canines, and some national guard training, for fighting in urban areas (the buildings used for these were finally condemned & razed in the mid 90's). The vast majority is now just a wildlife management area (hunting & fishing allowed, no camping), where they are allowing the forest to reclaim itself. Walking in this area is a treat, as you are on some paved roads, that end abruptly, will be walking through the woods, and find an old fire hydrant in the middle of nowhere, a line of telephone poles through a copse of trees, odd things like that. But, all in all, it is a gorgeous area (no vehicle traffic allowed here at all).
So, anyway, this is where I spend the majority of my time wandering. Today, I walked to where I thought was WAY off the beaten path, to set up my hammock, & just relax. Well, I fall asleep, & wake up several times due to snoring (my hennesy is arguably more comfy than my bed). Finally, I doze off good. Then, I hear a truck. In the middle of the woods. Well, come to find out, there is an old paved road about 100 yards from where I was. In it were 3 cops. They ask me if I were living there, which, of course, I wasnt. I explain what I am doing, they are amicable, we exchange niceties, I even turn one of em on to the hennesy website, and they leave. Well, naps over, I pack up, and leave myself.
I dont take a direct route, instead, I wander some old footpaths, heading in the general direction of my jeep. I notice a police helicopter, doing lazy eights over the whole area. Now, I figure its one of two things; a pilot training, or somethings going on. So, I head back to a paved road, to make a beeline baqck to my jeep. I figure, if they have a chopper up, its serious.
Well, I run into the same cops that came across me napping earlier. It seems that a 24 year old decided he wanted to take his own life. He had left a note at his home, stating he was going to overdose with drugs in the woods. They asked if I had seen anyone fitting the description, which I hadnt. I told him of several other folks I came across out for a walk today though, and roughly where they were. They graciously offered me a ride back to my jeep, but I wanted to walk. It was a little less than a mile back, no big deal. The whole way back I kept calling out the kids name, hoping he'd respond. Unfortunately, he didnt.
As of this time, I do not know the status of the situation. I, for one, am hoping for a good outcome, and that maybe this was a call for help. I would hate to think that his life could be so bad that suicide would be the only answer. I sincerely hope he is found. There are LOTS of places one could go to do the deed in this place, and quite possibly never be found. That, IMHO, would be the absolute worst, as the family would never get true closure. Its sad that, on such a gorgeous day, someone elected to attempt to take their own life. My heart goes out to him, & his family.

No comments: