Saturday, May 05, 2007

A fine spring day




Well, as it was again a wonderful day, I decided to go out geocaching all day. I didn't hit as many as I normally do, which is about 7, but I got a couple of good ones, so it paid off. I started off with a new local one, hear a baseball field. However, with so many folks around, I gave up on it, leaving it for another, less busy day. So, I went off in earnest for others.
I started in on Birch Hill WMA, but only did part one. The second part will require a little planning, as there is no access to it road wise. I'll have to break out the topo, using my maptech program, and work it out from there. So, I went on & did a couple easy ones, and topped the day off doing Spirit IN the Falls and Doanes Fallies. Both were awesome, and memorable. The Spirit in the Falls one, had an awesome view from the first waypoint, and was well worth the hike up to the ridge. See the picture attached to this.
Doans Fallies was a double treat, as, first, this is one of my favorite local places, and second, I came upon a beaver swimming lazily in the pond! I, of course, snapped off a few pictures...unfortunately, only one came out. But, hey, that life, right?
Both of these caches are muliticaches, and required quite a bit of hiking. Which, again, was fine, as it was a nice day.
Then, this evening, I went fishing with my oldest nephew & my brother in law. My nephew, Josh, was the only one to catch on tonight, despite several strikes on everyone's bait. He caught a large mouth bass, but has never taken one off the hook before. Well, I showed him how to do it, and told him he was on his own next time!
One last thing; I am currently trying my hand at two home made items; one will be an alcohol stove, and the other will be a homemade firesteel. I picked up two firesteel blanks recently online, and will be making a handle for one out of black birch. I plan on taking several pics during construction of the firesteel, so stay tuned!!

No comments: