Friday, March 02, 2007

Hammock experience & a camera


Well, I purchased a hamnmock from DD hammock last week, & got it in the mail Wednesday night. Needless to say, I was excited to try it out. Well, yesterday (thursday) was a gorgeous day, about 45 degrees outside, perfect for a trial nap. So, I throw the hammock, tarp, sleeping bag, mat, & canteen into my daypack, & head off into the woods.
I also brought along my new camera, and Olympus something or other. I figured I'd give two new items a try today :)
I find a nice spot, next to a beaver pond, with good, stout trees to set up. I get the tarp up, in about 5 minutes (with fiddling). Next, I string the hammock up. Get everything nice & set up, get the bug net up, then am about to get in, when I notice that there is a ripped seam. Disappointed, I take everything down, pack up, & head for home, to email the maker.
So, I email DD hammocks, and they ask that I ensure it is actually torn, as some folks confuse the two layers of nylon (to slip a sleep mat between)with a tear. I write back that, no, I am not confused, and take a picture of the tear. Upon further inspection, I see that, it is in fact not a tear, but the machine had missed stitching about a foot's worth of material (in the picture). So, as it stands currently, I am awaiting a response from them. In the interim, I've ordered a hennessy asym, and will review that as soon as I get it.
Oh, and the camera kicks ass ;)

No comments: