Friday, February 23, 2007

Out for a day of instruction






Well, my nephew has the week off, so I decided we were going to spend a morning teaching him how to set up a poncho shelter. So, he came over last night, and I went over a couple of knots with him, to help set the shelter up today. This morning we got up & headed right out. It is about 20°F today, with gusty winds. We had a fresh coating of snow, about 3" or so. Pretty good conditions for what I had planned. I also wanted to try out my new swedish army stove in the woods, in the cold. It worked quite well, and took about 15 mins to boil a full pot of water.
So, I had my nephew set up his poncho as I was setting mine up. He had some trouble with the knots. I think its because he is unsure of himself. I went over it with him quite a few times. He finally got it, after a LOT of trial & error. So, we got the ponchos set up, then cut a few limbs to sit on. I then started the stove to get some cocoa going. He wants to get out alot this spring & summer, which is what I want to do as well. I told him that, come spring, I am going out regardless of the weather. So, I told him, we gotta keep working on the basics before moving on. the pics on the side are, in order:
Me drinking a cup of cocoa, after everything was all set up.
A picture of our little setup. those branches are what we sat on.
My stove chufgging away. As cold as it was, it only took 15 mins to get to a full boil. A lot quicker than I expected.
Another shot of our area, with my nephew holding a bag of cocoa in his mouth.

No comments: