Friday, February 02, 2007

new knife!


I just wanted to post that I picked up a new knife. I picked up a Mora Model #731. A you can view their collection of knives here. My blade looks discolored, but, I intended it that way. To protect the knife, I used a neat little trick I learned. As it is a mix of carbon & stainless steel (I wont get into the technical aspects of knifemaking, but, a mixed metal blade will provide excellent cutting edges, retain the edge, and not stain/rust as readily), it requires some protection from elements, particularly staining. So, to do that, you stain the metal first (doesnt hurt it at all). To do this, I wrapped the blade in a paper towel soaked in white vinegar for about an hour (went & washed my jeep). The result is what you see on the blade. It faded it, and you can see the mix of the two steels quite well (of course, not with MY camera...).Anyway, I wanted to share this with you.
ON a geocaching note, I went out yesterday, and actually came across a white hare. First wild rabbit I've seen in quite some time. Had I a rabbit stick, I may have had rabbit stew last night! He was a big, fat one too. Came across an interesting cache container as well at this cache. It was actually a piece of a log a beaver had cut down, and it was hollowed out, with a hinged lid. Pretty clever.
I also picked up a new vehicle GPS. I picked up a quest 2, and was using it quite extensively yesterday. Overall, not a bad little machine. It does take some time to re-calculate routes, and this can become quite annoying. It does acquire satellites very quickly though. I have an external GPS antenna, and that may help in the acquisition/lock department though. It is definitely easy to read. The suction cup thingy kept slipping off my windshield, so I mounted it where my old one was, using a slightly different method of mounting than suggested. But, it never slipped off, so, all is good thus far!
I will probably be going out caching tomorrow as well. I am going to start taking my nephew out, & teaching him some wilderness skills. We will (hopefully) get lots of pics using just our kits. The idea is to go out for 2-3 days this spring & live just off the land, with only our little kits. We shall see! anyway, the pic of my new knife:

No comments: