Sunday, November 02, 2014

Do bears shit in the woods?

I don't know, but I almost did!
I decided yesterday that, it being a blustery, rainy afternoon, and my only day off this week, I wanted to go do some Tenkara fishing (which, I just realized, I havent done an article on-one will be forthcoming!). Instead of going to my usual fly fishing spot, I decided to hit up a local river, only a couple minutes away, in a wildlife refuge area. All I carried was my fishing rod, my fly necklace, and a pocketknife. Oh, and a phone.
So, I was bushwhacking down to the river's edge. The first 50 yards or so are through blackberry brambles. Lots of fun. I had a pair of firehose pants on, and a waxed cotton jacket, so I pushed through, but it wasnt easy. I must've sounded like a pack of horses going through that!
Anyway, I get into the "open" woods. Open for New England woods, anyway. Light underbrush, some random brambles, lots of blowdowns. You know, woods. Everything was soaking wet. Well, except me :).
So, I am just walking along, minding my business, trying to pick a path through the woods, to get to the river. I look ahead, about 50 yards or so, and see a giant burl off the side of a tree. Of course, me being me, I decided to investigate.
I get to within 20 yards of the burl-when it stands up on its hind legs! What looked to be a burl, was the hind quarters of a mature black bear! Well, when he figured me out, he did what bears do-turned tail and took off! The bear was tearing up dead wood for grubs, when I startled him.
This was my first encounter with a black bear in the wild-despite spending YEARS traipsing through the woods. I feel like I was truly blessed with seeing him. It was awesome. I only wish I had taken pics. Had I recognized it for a bear, I would have been MUCH quieter and had my camera out. But, honestly-who stalks burls????

No comments: