Saturday, September 13, 2014

An evening on the Nissitissit

Just a quick post. Yesterday afternoon, I decided to go out for a little fly fishing at a local river that I frequent. Its one of the local hot spots for native brookies, and, when they stock upriver, other species as well. I got there about 5, as the evening sun was setting. First thing I noticed was that the river was VERY silty. This is vastly different from the last time I was here, a couple months ago. Not sure where this is depositing from, but the normally rocky bottom had a fair amount of sediment. Second, there is a bridge that is fished heavily, as the water is (normally) deep & fast there, and there is shelter, all ideal for trout. However, there is now a debris dam directly under the bridge. I was unable to discern whether this was naturally occurring (from drift farther upstream), or if it was beaver activity in the area. Beavers are prevalent along this corridor, but, I didn't spot a lodge anywhere nearby. This could be the cause of the sediment buildup on the upstream part though. State law prohibits tearing these down, if it is a dam. This river is fairly well used though, and the Squanatissit chapter of Trout Unlimited undoubtedly knows of it, and, hopefully, are looking into ways of removing it, if its a beaver dam. If its simply debris, a weekend out removing it will restore the normal flow.
Anyway, I seized on the opportunity to fish the downside of the dam, as I figured there'd be a couple of brookies hanging out. And, I was right! I was using my Cabelas 8.5' 5 weight rod, and a #14 caddis. I managed to catch 2 brookies, both of about 6" or so, and managed to get a pic of 1:

As usual, I let the little guy go. I watched the sun set over the river, and called it a day. Even though I was only out for an hour, it was certainly worth it. A fitting close to the end of my weekend (which rotates weekly).

No comments: