Thursday, August 23, 2012

Some craftiness this weekend!!!

So, first off, this past week was my birthday. My LOVELY fiance got me a Real Deal Brazil hat for me-absolutely LOVE it! I crafted a braided 550 cord hatband for it. Have worn it several times so far this week, and this is now my go-to outdoors hat. I need to make a chin strap for it, as it does sit a little loose (choice between small, or large, and I KNOW a small wouldnt fit), as it can have the propensity to blow off in a good wind.
Next, I picked up 2 things I am excited about: first, a Samick Sage takedown recurve bow, with a 45# pull. I have shot it in my backyard a few times, and LOVE this bow!!! I may even try my hand at hunting next year. We will see.
Second, I got a pair of Israeli desert boots. They are, in essence, Chuck Taylor sneakers. I want to give them a go, see how they feel in the woods. Initial impressions, they are lightweight (being made of canvas), and should be cool enough for summer weather.
So, anyway, the plan is to get out for an overnight from Sunday to Monday, in the Federated Women's State Forest, out near the Quabbin Reservoir in MA. My understanding is that you can do primitive camping there, and myself and a friend are going to knock out some lessons for our Basic Bushcraft classes. I should be able to close mine out this week, and submit my certification by Friday. I only need a couple things (some basic firecraft skills), and my outings, which I plan to knock out by the end of next week. So, stay tuned, I should have some interesting pictures to show soon!

No comments: