Saturday, January 13, 2007

new gear

Well, I have been experimenting with some new gear over the past couple of weeks. I posted my new boots. Update on those; I did some pretty tough hiking this past week (day hikes only), and they held up fine. I also picked upa new backpack, a North Face Yavapai. I needed something a little bigger, particularly for winter time. The Yavapai is perfect; allows me to put in an extensive survival kit, in the event I get caught out overnight; all my geocaching stuff, some snack foods, and an extra set of clothing, to include all layers. Also, room for water bottle (I dont use a bladder in the winter), and a lash point on the outside for my jacket. Two water bottle holders hold my canteen & a first aid kit.
I am now 10 caches away from 200...I have a special one planned for my 200th, provided it doesnt snow. Stay tuned, as I'll have pics!!!
This week, well, yesterday actually, I went out and grabbed 10 more caches. I found a few really cool places for hiking. Even did a little bushwhacking...for about a MILE. As is typical, I found the trail on the way out. I started on an old logging road, that then petered out into nothing. I then dead-reckoned to the cache. I think I crawled over or under every god damned tree that was downed in that forest! Crawled through a bunch of mountain laurel too. In case you've never had the experience of going through this; its like trying to walk through a chain link fence. So, you can imagine how tough this was. Here is a link to this cache: up, up and away

No comments: