Sunday, November 30, 2014

Pre hunt scouting

I went out yesterday. to do some scouting in the area I will be hunting next week (shotgun season opens December 1st, I'll be hunting black powder though). I went with my nephew Joey, and my friend Joe. We got about 6" of snow, so it made tracking a little easier-moving through it, not so much. We started where I THOUGHT the trail was-but, the trail, a single track that is unmarked (not blazed), that is easy to follow when there isnt any snow-all but disappeared with the snow, and the trees bent over touching the ground. ANY side trail was difficult to locate, never mind walk through. Unmarked (illegal) single tracks, even more so! But, we found it, eventually. We also found PLENTY of deer tracks. Looking at what we saw, there were at least 2 bucks, and several does, some much smaller, possibly fawns or yearlings? I dont know-but, the area I scouted before, yielded more tracks, so I'm satisfied that my chosen area is at least used.
We also came across what appear to be moose tracks. I will attach them here, but, they were LARGE. They were bigger than an adult sized fist. The area that I am hunting, I played in as a child. I never once remember seeing a moose, or tracks, out there at all. But, these could only be moose, or cow. Now, that being said-there are farms, close by, and cows have been known to escape. But, cows dont wander through thick mountain laurel, brambles, and thick underbrush. We are pretty certain it was moose.
Anyway, thats just an update. I will be out hunting this Thursday and Friday, my first time ever. So, expect an update next weekend! PS-the last pic, is simply the area we were. The main trail is used by dog walkers, snowshoers, cross country skiers, and snowmobilers. Just wanted to illustrate the woods, in their current condition :)



No comments: