Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A day out on the canoe

I recently spent a couple hours out on the water with my Old town 119. My intent is to become a decent canoe paddler. Most casual canoers, at least in my area, know little about paddle selection, water reading-or, sadly, even paddling, beyond putting the blade in the water the correct way.
I am planning a couple of solo trips next year, so I really want to get some techniques (and gear) ironed out. Specifically, I was practicing my J stroke-which is the stroke you really want to use when solo canoeing, as its less tiresome, and you don't switch sides-meaning less water in the canoe. I also worked a little on sweeps, draws, and TRIED sculling-but, the current seat in my canoe doesn't really allow for me to kneel. But, I am putting a new seat into it this week, so that problem should be resolved shortly.
Anyway, I took a few pics from the outing. Nothing to really report, other than, with the right paddle, paddling a canoe solo is a dream, and requires very little effort!

First up, this is how I had to portage. The canoe is too small for a yoke, and the seat sits too far back and too low to rest on my shoulders, so I used this idea (not my original-borrowed from a canoe site) to portage it. The canoe is light enough to carry on a shoulder short distances, but not for anything significant.


Here she is, all packed and ready to go!


A beautiful day on the lake:


One of the several islands on the lake:


Nice reflection of the clouds:



Another nice shot from the canoe:



Beaver dam:



Water lily-sometimes, I come out here, and there are a LOT in bloom-to the point it looks like a snow field:



A blue heron-oddly, not afraid of me in the least. As he heard me coming, he came crashing out of the woods-then proceeded to have a lunch of frogs:

No comments: